ASC Pre/Post PACU Registered Nurse
Position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university required.
- Nursing Diploma program completed during or before the 1980’s accepted in lieu of a degree.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) preferred.
Licensure and Certification Requirements:
- Registered Nurse License Issued by the Kansas State Board of Nursing required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification preferred upon hire, must be obtained within six months of hire.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification preferred upon hire, must be obtained within six months of hire.
One \totwo years of experience preferred.
The Intermediate Registered Nurse is responsible for the provision of professional nursing care \topatients; including assessment, direct physical care, evaluation, teaching, and counseling. Ensures delegated care is consistent with patient/family needs. Functions as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
Essential Job Functions:
- Demonstrates the ability \toassess and evaluate data including:
- Systematic and ongoing assessment based on patient/family diagnoses/problem list;
- Diagnostic tests results and other clinical information;
- Response \tomedical and/or nursing care/treatment;
- Behavioral responses;
- Developmental needs;
- Cultural responses/needs;
- Educational needs.
- Recognizes and reports changes in patient condition.
- Demonstrates patient/family focus in the provision of care, adhering \tostandards.
- Ensures delegated nursing care for patients/families is provided according \toplans developed by treatment team and within the confines of the applicable practice acts.
- Utilizes critical thinking \toevaluate the effectiveness of care.
- Assists patients and families \tointegrate the impact of illness and recovery in \totheir lifestyles through patient education.
- Collaborates with care providers in meeting patient care needs.
- Performs care interventions in accordance with the Kansas Nurse Practice Act.
- Communicates progress \’\towards expected outcomes.
- Responds \topotential risk/hazard \tothemselves and others.
- Supports effective communication through utilizing systems that enable opportunities for input regarding patient care issues.
- Documents assessments, treatments, re-evaluations, and patient responses \totreatment per hospital policies and procedures.
- Participates regularly in educational activities related \topractice. Collaborates with men \’\tor \toidentify learning needs and seeks experiences \todevelop clinical skills.
- Develops a clinical knowledge base for populations served that is age appropriate, culturally specific and diagnosis appropriate.
- Contributes \tothe establishment of an ethical environment that supports the rights of all participants.
- Participates in resolving ethical problems or dilemmas of individuals or systems.
- Provides advocacy, protection, and support for patient rights, family involvement, and patient/family decision-making.
- Remains calm and functions as a team member during times of stress and crisis situations.
- Seeks involvement in activities that promote professional growth and behavior.
- Actively participates on appropriate committees and QA/PI activities.
- Follows OSHA and other standards for protection against blood borne pathogens.
- Uses good body mechanics.
- Informs ASC Manager or Chief Nursing Officer of applicable day- \’\to-day situations.
- Follows employee health and other personnel and staffing policies.
- Maintains patient/hospital confidentiality at all times.
Please note this job description is not designed \tocover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job, and that other duties may be assigned by the supervisor at any time. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice, however Andover Surgery Center will strive \tonotify employees of changes \totheir job description within a timely manner, and will require an updated signature for any changes \tojob descriptions.
- Must be skilled in: preparing and maintaining records, writing reports, and responding \tocorrespondence; general administrative and clerical tasks; general computers and technology; project management; attention \todetail; and critical thinking.
- Must be able \’\to: demonstrate exceptional customer service skills; treat patients and patients’ family with respect and must not ignore, insult, argue, or offend anyone; and demonstrate appropriate and professional phone, electronic, and other communication etiquette.
- Must possess ability \’\to: utilize exceptional organizational and time management skills \tohandle multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities and deadlines; be detail-oriented; work semi-independently with minimal supervision; react calmly and effectively in difficult, stressful, and emergency situations; demonstrate good judgment, problem solving, and decision-making skills; and have cognitive ability in math, reading, and technology.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills \toclearly relay and retain information \toand from coworkers, doc \’\tors, patients, patients’ families, and the public in order \todevelop and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the community
- All ASC employees must be able \’\to: work in a team-oriented and collaborative environment; demonstrate commitment \toservice, organizational values, and professionalism by demonstrating appropriate conduct and demeanor; interpret, follow, and apply organizational policies, guidelines, and procedures; follow safety procedures, policies, regulations, and take precautions \toestablish a safe and orderly environment; work well under pressure with a sense of urgency; and maintain confidentiality and discretion \toremain in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Must possess knowledge of: professional theory, practices, and regulations as well as knowledge of medical equipment and instruments; taking medical his \’\tory, assessing medical condition and interpreting findings; and administering a variety of medications and/or treatments as directed; and knowledge of medications and their effects on patients.
This position operates in a typical temperature-controlled ambula \’\tory surgery center environment. Work environment generally includes moderate- \’\to-high risk of exposure \toblood/ bodily fluids. Risk generally includes moderate- \’\to-high risk of exposure \toinfectious disease. This position does include occupational risk of exposure \totuberculosis (Category 2). This position includes a moderate \tohigh risk of exposure \toHepatitis B.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required \totalk and hear; occasionally required \tosit for long periods of time; regularly required \tostand for long periods of time; regularly required \touse hands \tohandle, grasp, or feel objects, \’\tools, and controls; regularly required \towalk or use other means of mobility; occasionally required \toreach with hands and arms above head and below waist; occasionally required \tokneel, s \’\toop, and crouch; and occasionally required \touse push and pull motion. The employee must frequently be able \tolift or move up \to50 pounds using proper lifting techniques. The employee is required, with or without corrective lenses, \tohave visual acuity \toperform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection; operation of machines; investigating and assessing; determining accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of work; and \tomake general observations.