Surgical Scrub Tech – Full Time
Monday through Friday day shift
OR Nurse Manager
Position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited Surgical Technology program or equivalent experience required.
Licensure and Certification Requirements:
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- Certified Surgical Technologist issued by The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting preferred.
One year of experience as a Surgical Scrub Technician required.
The surgical technologist is a member of the surgical healthcare team and provides technical support \tothe surgeon, registered nurses, and anesthesiologist in the operating room. Ensures aseptic and sterile technique throughout the surgical procedure. Maintains cleanliness of room for turnover between cases, pulls instruments with damaged or improper function, and notifies OR Manager of needed replacement/repair.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for gathering and preparing supplies/equipment for surgical cases.
- Assists in maintaining a clean and safe environment according \toSurgical Standards.
- Assists the physician with surgical cases under the direct supervision of the Circulating Registered Nurse.
- Assists Purchasing and OR Manager in maintaining adequate level of supplies and instruments for use by the hospital.
- Adheres \toestablished hospital safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Demonstrates the importance of continuing education \tothe performance of responsibilities and growth in profession.
- Demonstrates the safe operation of equipment and machinery and follows procedures for reporting and correcting an unsafe situation.
- Actively participates on appropriate committees and Performance Improvement activities.
Please note this job description is not designed \tocover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job, and that other duties may be assigned by the supervisor at any time. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice, however Kansas Medical Center will strive \tonotify employees of changes \totheir job description within a timely manner, and will require an updated signature for any changes \tojob descriptions.
- Must be able \’\to: demonstrate exceptional customer service skills; treat patients and patients’ family with respect and must not ignore, insult, argue, or offend anyone; and demonstrate appropriate and professional phone, electronic, and other communication etiquette.
- Must possess ability \’\to: utilize exceptional organizational and time management skills \tohandle multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities and deadlines; be detail-oriented; work semi-independently with minimal supervision; react calmly and effectively in difficult, stressful, and emergency situations; demonstrate good judgment, problem solving, and decision-making skills; and have cognitive ability in math, reading, and technology.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills \toclearly relay and retain information \toand from coworkers, doc \’\tors, patients, patients’ families, and the public in order \todevelop and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, and the community.
- All KMC employees must be able \’\to: work in a team-oriented and collaborative environment; demonstrate commitment \toservice, organizational values, and professionalism by demonstrating appropriate conduct and demeanor; interpret, follow, and apply organizational policies, guidelines, and procedures; follow safety procedures, policies, regulations, and take precautions \toestablish a safe and orderly environment; work well under pressure with a sense of urgency; and maintain confidentiality and discretion \toremain in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
This position operates in a typical temperature-controlled hospital environment. Work environment generally includes moderate- \’\to-high risk of exposure \toblood/ bodily fluids. Risk generally includes moderate- \’\to-high risk of exposure \toinfectious disease. This position does include occupational risk of exposure \totuberculosis (Category 2). This position includes a moderate \tohigh risk of exposure \toHepatitis B.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required \totalk and hear; occasionally required \tosit for long periods of time; regularly required \tostand for long periods of time; regularly required \touse hands \tohandle, grasp, or feel objects, \’\tools, and controls; regularly required \towalk or use other means of mobility; occasionally required \toreach with hands and arms above head and below waist; occasionally required \tokneel, s \’\toop, and crouch; and occasionally required \touse push and pull motion. The employee must frequently be able \tolift or move up \to50 pounds using proper lifting techniques. The employee is required, with or without corrective lenses, \tohave visual acuity \toperform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection; operation of machines; investigating and assessing; determining accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of work; and \tomake general observations.